Tuesday, November 22, 2011

What is the best advice you would give to a Potty Training Parent?

Please give details about relevent experience with method, etc.What is the best advice you would give to a Potty Training Parent?
As a mother and the head teacher of a toddler class at a large daycare, I'd like to think that I have some experience with this. First of all, never try to force the child to use the ';potty';. As most parents know, trying to make your child do something only makes them NOT want to do it even more. Watch for signs that they are ready....telling you when they need a daiper change, showing interest in a ';potty';, etc. Buy a potty chair so that it's not as difficult, or scary(But Mom, I'll fall in and it will eat me!) for a toddler. Try to let them spend time with other children their age that are already potty trained and make small comments about how they use the ';big boy/girl'; potty. Praise them for trying to use the potty and reward them when they actually do use the potty. You don't have to give them presents or candy. You can give them some extra ';mommy time';, read them their favorite book, or play that game with them that they've been bugging you about. Basically, make a big deal about it when they actually go peepee in the potty. Show them the neat underwear they could wear when they use the potty. (this one really worked on my son when he found that he could wear batman underwear instead ';baby daiper';). Other then that, just be patient. Sometimes it takes awhile for them to be comfortable with it. I have a 4 year old in my daycare class that still is completely content with wearing daipers. Good luck and happy training!What is the best advice you would give to a Potty Training Parent?
I have 2 children. A girl and a boy. My daughter learned #1 first. My son #2 first. Also different ages. I got a potty chair. Put it in the bathroom. Let them pick out big girl-boy underwear. Practiced with a doll first. I get a paper towel and wet it. Put it in my hand. Put it under the doll and sqeeze. Then Yeah look dolly went pee pee in the potty. Give dolly a sticker. The children then wanted thier own stickers. Put your childs name on a piece of paper tape it to the wall and you are in business. Everytime they go they get a sticker and lots of kisses.
Be patient and don't push too hard.





Don't try to get your child trained by a certain age. they will do it in their own good time. Introduce your little one to thier little potty and then model the right behavior. Let them see you ';going potty.'; It might seem weird at first, but it's the way they learn.





Sitting them on the potty when you know they are going to go (you should have a good idea of their schedule)....and put them on it before and after bed and naptimes. The first time they go make a HUGE deal about it. Act like a complete idiot....clap and jump up and down....go get daddy and tell him too. Praise your child...then let it all happen. Never punish your child for accidents, just let them know that ';potty (or poo) goes into the toilet.';





Good luck!
keep alot of paper towel handy and be patient
Wear rubber gloves and a peg on your nose.
My best answer is don't force it. I have 3 girls and they all trainned at different ages. When they start staying dry all night that would be a good time to buy a training potty. There are also some great books and videos now too.
Be patient and give lots of praise
Patience, Patience and Patience - otherwise you will be patient.
WASH your hands before touching anything of MINE!
watch where you step loads of wipes and try to make it like a fun thing for the child.like sit in front of them and roll a ball to each other.untill there used to sitting on the potty
Be patient. It is true that they will go when they are ready. Trying to rush them or punish them for accidents will only make them more defiant. Hang in there.
What worked for me may not work for you and what may work for you may not work for someone else. I had three boys. I trained them all the same way but they was trained according to their development stages. I would just do like it has been done for decades, sit those toddlers on the pot for about an hour and talk them through it as though they could comprehend. But I would sit them on the pot several times a day. All three stopped wetting and pooping on themselves at different levels. Don't worry, he/she will get tired of mommy nagging them sooner or later. Some mature faster then others. As you and your child adventure into this training for a good period of time, try switch ing up and take him/her to a bigger pot, like the commode for instance, but be there to assist him/her. They will then feel like they are maturing and is showing improvement. Reward them when they do good. I'm not comparing children to animals but look how animals learn to be obedient so quickly and notice how fast they learn when their trainer rewards them!
Let them choose the potty,big boy theme/girl panties.





Place potty in family area %26amp; casually place child on for


however long he wants to sit. It's all about fun %26amp; games





Child may reject chair for awhile, that's ok...Put favorite


dolly or plush animal toy on potty. Wheeee, what a big


thrill... partytime...





But no scolding when child has accidents.





A hug/kiss/star/sticker works well for any effort...





Also, when the red-letter day arrives, phone Daddy, Grandma,


Aunt Jill,


and share the exciting news !
Patience is it a boy or a girl? If its a boy put cheerios in the toliet and have him shoot them make a game of it. I have a 4 year old that I potty trained at 2 it took about 2 weeks you must be consistent
Make it a party!!! If they go have a potty dance that you do after make it a big deal they need a fun reason to do it another way,,have those little noise maker things and have a little parade from the bathroom to a fun treat.
First of all I hope you are a very patient person because you will need all that you have. I have tried many different methods I will list them below and let you know my results.


1. I reccomend getting a potty chair, at first my son hated it so I put it in our family room where all his toys and the tv is he was more willing to use it. every 15 min or so I would make him sit on the potty seat eventualy he went (don't forget to praise your child) also when they go poppy for the first time they may freek out just reasure them that it is ok and that they did a great job.


2. I did try pull ups unfortunately my son would go to the bathroom in them anyways and he really didn't care that he could feel it on his skin he got a rash, so what I did was buy him underware and also the gerber training paints that have the vinyl on the outside that way when he did wet his pants he felt it didn't like it and didn't ruine my furniture. (don't forget keep making your child go every 15 min or so) Honestly perservierience will help train them faster. If you slack off you will loose everything you have worked so hard for.


3. When it comes to using the big potty I waited until he asked to use it then I bought a potty seat, and a stool. by that time he was telling me when he had to go and had few accidents.


4. If you have a boy he will learn to stand up and pee by watching your husband it was so weird one day my son just went in the bathroom and started peeing with daddy and the rest is history (thank God)


I also found the DVD Poty Training With Bear (bear in the big blue house) helpful. And your library may have resorces you can use.


I'm sure you will do great, (and don't forget that you don't see adults walking in diapers so your child will learn to use the potty eventually)


GOOD LUCK
  • eye makeup
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment