Sunday, August 22, 2010

Could you give me some newly wed advice?

I am getting married on May 23, 2009. I just wanted to get different feed back on what its like to be married. Is there any positive-only advice, anyone could offer me as far as marriage goes. Maybe some do's and don'ts would be helpful. Thank you much!Could you give me some newly wed advice?
I can offer a don't: my friend got married and after the wedding, she wanted to do EVERYTHING with her husband. The guy could not get one minute to himself. He even started going to the gym at 5:00am just to have some time to himself and she started going with him. If he made plans to watch football with the guys, she would go with him. Needless to say, she smothered him and he left her before their two year anniversary.





Just make sure that you have a good balance between work, your stuff, his stuff and the stuff you do together. Just because you're married doesn't mean you have to spend every minute together. You should each have your own activities that you enjoy.Could you give me some newly wed advice?
I've been married for 7 years, and I've been with my husband for 15 years. This may not be all positive advice, but it is all sound advice. Some cliches come to mind like ';Don't sweat the small stuff'; and ';Choose your battles wisely';. Both are good advice. For example, if your spouse won't clean the litter box, but never fails to make the bed in the morning, consider that a victory. If they squeeze the toothpaste in the middle, but always leave the toilet seat in the right position, it's no big deal. Don't enter a marriage expecting everything to be perfect. You WILL be disappointed. Marriage is about compromise; finding a harmonious way to please you both. You will both make mistakes along the way, but if you are both willing to accept that and work together as a team, everything will work out fine. Play on each others strengths, rather than weaknesses. If one of you is good at cooking, while the other is best at reading bedtime stories to the kids, stick with that. But it is necessary to switch off from time to time to allow the other to get better in the area they are lacking. Marriage should be about loving each other and taking care of each other, not about competition or showing each other up. If love and respect and communication are the basis of your relationship, you will do just fine. Oh, yeah, and don't cheat!!
Do keep a sense of humor. We've been married just 10 months, and hardly ever fight, but there were a couple of times that could have gone either way: a fight or funny. The fact that one of us laughed before the other got angry avoided a fight. In a similar vein, try to see things from the other's point fo view. There have been times when my husband expected that I might be mad at him. For example, the other night he dropped a glass that I've had for 20 years, and moved from five previous homes. It may well be the only ';original'; household item I had left. But, he didn't drop it on purpose. He was emptying the dishwasher, and it simply got away from him. I knew his intentions weren't bad, so I just couldn't be mad at him about it. In fact, I felt bad that he felt bad about the broken glass. So, keep things in perspective. Decide what's important, and consider the other person's intent.
Communication is very important. Never be afraid to say anything to him. If you can have sex with him you can talk to him. So many people are afraid to say what they want and how they feel. Do not make unfair demands. You are both adults and you both have a brain. You don't need to be told what to do. Another mistake so many make. Be on the same page with everything. If you disagree work out a compromise. This is with family, money, raising kids, whatever it is. Always be there for each other. Don't side with family or your friends.When a problem comes up, hash it out. Don't keep quiet and hope it will go away, it won't. Do not keep secrets. Love him like there is not going to be a tomorrow. Never, never used sex as a weapon or a bargaining tool. Congratulations and hope you have a long and happy marriage.
I'm getting married this coming June... I'm so excited! Well, just like you are asking for good positive advice, so have I been asking too! lol I am a CNA and I work in an Assisted Living Facility. And, there is this little couple who live together, and the are just so cute! Every morning when they wake up, they grab each others hand, look each other in the eyes, and say ';good morning, I love you'; It is just so sweet to see them still so in love. The other day, when I was assisting the wife, I just had to ask her... ';How long have you two been married?'; She told me ';57 years!'; I wasn't too surprised, they are so perfect for each other! It's just so sweet! So then I asked her, ';So what's the secret?'; She told me very simply, ';Tolerate each other- even in the worst... and just be very caring.'; I took that advice, and I hold it dear to my heart. It seems so simple, but it is so important. and after 57 years, they must have done something right! So, there you go! =)
Congratulations! I think an important element of a marriage is to never forget to show appreciation for one another. Do sweet little things to remind your hubby how much you love him. For example, I like to write my husband silly little love notes and i tuck them in his wallet or pants pocket. Those types of things keep us close and it is a great way to show affection. Also, one thing I learned is to avoid sweating the small stuff in life. Just enjoy the time you have together. Good luck!
Congratulations! I've been married for about 3 years now and I am really happy. I love being a wife, sometimes I feel like we are still in high school because we just have so much fun together. some things have changed though. I use to think that we always had to be together to have fun but i find that it is good to have fun on your own too. When I come home after I haven't seen him in a while, I realize how much I miss him. We also anticipate the future, wondering what our kids will be like and just having fun living our lives together. It's always good to have trust and honesty. As well as compromise because their will be disagreements, but that goes with any individual. That way you are both happy no matter what. I do not regret getting married at all. Do try to understand each others views to be happy. All in all I love being married and I am sure you will too.
Make a rule that when either of you gets SO mad that you're going to say something hurtful and mean, one person leaves until both parties have time to cool off. (I'm talking about a walk around the block or a trip to the grocery store). Then when things have calmed down, discuss the matter of disagreement calmly.





Make sure you have friends and interests of your own, separate from your husband.
Absolutely positively have a sense of humor... The most important thing in my opinion. Life gets stressful at times and if we get in the habit of taking every thing so seriously then when the stressful times hit we will have a heck of a time dealing with the stress and each other. If you know from the get-go that there will be days you don't even like each other but hold on to the deep love way down inside it will be ok.





best wishes...............


married 25 years to the same guy!
First of all, congrats sweetie!





Well...you have to remember to give your partner his space.


You guys can't do EVERYTHING together for the first two months.


You should give each other some space.





And, don't totally change from when the time you were dating.


Make sure that he knows you, and he knows the real you =)





Do remember that the guy you loved is ALWAYS there, even in those stupid fights you guys get in, you love him and he loves you. No matter what. Period. End of Discussion.
When you are mad at him, just remember you love him


When you hate him, just remember WHY you love him


When you hate him some more, just remember, your gonna love him again
never go to bed angry


always clean dishes before bed time

No comments:

Post a Comment