Monday, August 23, 2010

Do you have any advice on running?

I am trying to get in to the Airforce in 2 years and need to straighten up. I am overweight and am going to lose probably 50 pounds. I want to know how I can increase my running speed and distance. Thanks so much! Any advice is appreciated!Do you have any advice on running?
I have been running for 8 years now and would break running down to two things: training and clothing. So, generally speaking, this is what I would recommend for you:





I would strengthen the core: calves, quads, hams, back and abdominal (the ';six pack'; muscles along with the obleks), chest and arms. But when strengthening these muscles, I would focus more on the muscle endurance not the muscle bulk. For more advice for this, I would consult with a personal trainer. For the running part, I would stay flexible as it helps/contributes to your balance (so do the muscles in your core) but also helps prevent some injuries like pulled muscles and shin splints. Also, I would try to make up a schedule where you can run for X amount of days and try to have a long run. I would start off slowly, running about 2-3 miles per run for the first week and increase my mileage per week. Make sure you have the following: a good diet, hydration, sleep, a good sense on how to take care of your body, and sleep.





Though I am biased towards Nike as a brand, I would recommend you to go to a running-specific store, like Fleet Feet in Carrboro, NC. They can help you find the right shoe because people buy shoes that aren't necessarily right for their feet, but more comfortable or fashionable. But after you get the correct shoes or even if you haven't, I would go to any major athletics store and ask the sales associates. Clothing is all about the comfort meaning that whatever fits well, feels good as it naturally falls on you, and how it feels and fits while running. Good luck!!!





http://www.fleetfeetsports.com/Do you have any advice on running?
Hi





Follow a good program for running and you will be fine


http://birminghamtrackclub.com/couch-to-鈥?/a>


after you can do 10K you might want to do a half marathon!


lots of training on the web for this





also.. track you food intake and eat healthy


www.fitday.com
The trick is to little by little make farther running distances but within the same time limit.
Loved loved loved this program! It's awesome. There is even a podcast to walk you through it as you run-just search it in itunes





http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/鈥?/a>





Yay couch to 5k!

No comments:

Post a Comment