Thursday, August 19, 2010

What's the worst self-help advice you've ever heard?

';Worst'; may refer to most ineffective, most inane, most absurd, funniest, most depressing... or whatever.





Have you ever followed self-help advice that totally backfired on you?





Titles and/or authors of any particularly bad books I can find in the library would be greatly appreciated, too.





Thanks.What's the worst self-help advice you've ever heard?
Here's one that never worked:





';Just hope for the best';


Nothing good happens if you just hope for something to happen!


Things only go the way you want with effort!





and...





';Stay with the group';


People will lead you the wrong way if you let them control your life! You have to make your own decisions if you hope to be successful. Being independent is the best thing you can have. It's better than mindlessly following a group.What's the worst self-help advice you've ever heard?
';Snap out of it!'; Snap out of what? At the time I was miserable and depressed with some very good reasons for being so. It's such a trashy piece of advice. As though you could just wish all your problems away by pretending there's nothing wrong!
';Just be yourself';








Yea, right. If just being myself was working, then why the 'ell do I need advice?








Why do morons always say ';be yourself'; whenever you ask for dating advice? Obviously I AM already ';being myself';. I CANNOT HELP IT.
';I'm doing good so why aren't you?';





';I can wake up in the morning when I'm tired, what's your problem?';





That kinda stuff.
Trust in the Lord...


Give yourself over to Jesus...





Any religious pap that absolves you of having to be responsible for yourself.
'There's no such thing as can't'





...yes there is, for one, I can't fly now can I!?
i honestly think those books are for people who are depressed and absolutely have no direction to turn towards.
the worst self-help advice i have been given is 'do it yourself'
don't feel that way

No comments:

Post a Comment