Monday, August 23, 2010

Do you have any advice on saving money?

My hubby makes about four thousand dollars a month and gets paid every two weeks. Our bills are about 3500 a month and we have no credit cards just morgage car and so on. We live from payday to payday and we have to borrow money sometimes to go to the store for food. We have 3 kids also. I hate living this way so I need some advice on how to save money and not be tempted to use it when we think we need it.Do you have any advice on saving money?
I'm 16 so I can't tell you things from experience. However, what I have learned in my 16 years on this earth if that you can't afford it, you don't need it. I guess I could suggest cutting out things you can live without, but you've probably already done that.Do you have any advice on saving money?
Try buying a state or government gaurenteed bond. It can also be automatically taken out of your hubbys pay every two weeks, then:





If you have no credit card debt I would see about a blend and extend on your mortgage to lower your mortgage payment. I would also see about trading in your car(s) for a cheaper monthly payment OR returning a leased car and buying a car out right to avoid a monthly payment. I would also shop around to see if you can get a better rate on insurance. Lower your montly bills one at a time and it may take some research, especially for things like insurance. See if you can cut back on your cable package, your internet, get your kids to wash the dishes in the sink instead of the dishwasher. hang your clothes on a clothes line.
This is what I did to save for my emergency fund. I opened a savings account at a Credit Union different from the one where my checking account is. I have $25.00 from each paycheck directly deposited into the savings account(bi-weekly paychecks) and the remainder is deposited into my checking account at another institution.


For my savings account I ask NOT receive a debit or atm card. What that means is if I really want to get some money out of the account you have to physically go to that institution. If it is not so close to you, and if the hours of operation conflict with your work schedule, you will find it a chore to have to make that extra trip.


This is what I am doing now, and it works for me.
Write down on paper a budget, and each payperiod give each dollar a name so when you budget for food make absolutely sure that you are not over budgeting, this will take about 3 months to master. Then, each dollar that you can spare send it to payoff that car, that's what's messing you up, pay it off quickly and you will see how you can build up your savings. You can do this by: stop eating out, stop shopping for a while until you finish paying off the car. But you need to see on paper so you can see reality.
We make 6000 a month and our total bills including groceries added into the expenses are only 2800, and that is with having a credit card. I find it hard to believe that your bills alone have accumulated to that high of a number, especially without a credit card. You must be adding in your extra shopping, etc. If your bills alone are truly that high... I would suggest having a consultation with a financial adviser and taking it from there.
$4,000 a month in income and $3,500 a month in expenses is tight. You need to increase your income and/or decrease your expenses. Another part time job for your husband or a part time job for for you. No dining out, cut back on vacations, turn down the thermostat, clothes from the Salvation Army, only used cars, basic cable only, only one cell phone. Lots of ideas.
Someone here on YA once suggested to treat savings as if it were another bill to pay. So try to save at least 10% of your paycheck:





Savings


Food


Rent/Mortgage


Utilities


etc..





Try to cut out luxuries for awhile: internet, cable, eating out, etc.
Open up a separate free bank account like ING and direct deposit from your bank even $10 each payday. It adds up and you won't miss that small amount. And Leave it Alone for a year at least.
PLAY WORLD OF WARCRAFT!

No comments:

Post a Comment