Sunday, August 22, 2010

Could you give me some advice on publication, please?

I've been writing a book for a while now and am very near the end. How do I go about approaching publishers? Are there any websites or agencies who could help me or give me some advice?


I've done a fair bit of writing, but I have no idea how to go about getting published! Help!Could you give me some advice on publication, please?
Terry Brooks has a book out that will help guide you along the way. He wrote it especially for all those wondering how to get started.





Sometimes the Magic Works (memoir/writing guide)


Why I Write About Elves (memoir/writing/guide)





http://www.terrybrooks.net/index.html


http://www.terrybrooks.net/writers.html





Hope this helps you


gladiola redCould you give me some advice on publication, please?
You have only begun to write your book! You need to rewrite it, then rewrite it again. Then you need to have others go over it brutally and show you your mistakes and rewrite it again.





Then, when you think you are done, read it out loud recording yourself. The sit down and listen to your book. You will want to rewrite it again.





Your spelling and grammar must be perfect or the publisher's rejection letter be stained with their tears of laughter.





You need to get several books on how to write a book. Perhaps the best book on writing is ';The First Five Pages'; by Noah Lukeman for starters. Then go through the other writing books on Amazon and see what you think. Feel free to email me. I would be willing to look at your first page if you wish.
Find books of a similar genre to yours and then find the website for that publisher. The website will usually have a page or two on how to submit a story or the start of a story, do as it tells you and voila!


I've checked a few out myself, thats how i know!
I would recommend self-publishing. I self-published a book of poetry through http://www.lulu.com/ (you don鈥檛 need an agent for self-publishing)


Lulu is completely free and very easy to use. You can then buy a global distribution, or ISBN, which will put your book on Barnes and noble, borders, Amazon.... I really like lulu, I think they are great. They also offer a great customer service if you get stuck. Once published with them, you automatically get the copyright, and you keep all rights to it. You can have books printed in b/w or colour, hardback or soft back, and in a variety of sizes.


If you think they are too good to be true (which was my original opinion) you can view my book at http://www.lulu.com/dchooper


Hope this helps. Good luck with your writing.


For any more information about Lulu you can contact me at forensic_dreamer@hotmail.com (if you do contact me, put Lulu in the subject line, or I might report as Spam)


Cheers, Deanna.
I attempted to get a few of my poems published when I was 8, and I simply found the address of a publisher in the inside front cover of a Jacqueline Wilson book. I wrote to them, and gave them a copy of a sample of my work. They wrote back after about 2 weeks and unfortunately turned me down but gave me the address to a Young Writers' Association.





So, in general, find the address of a typical good publisher and write to them, including an attached sample of your work and see how it goes from then!
Perhaps you could find the contact details of a publishers, and phone them up?





What is your book about?
You need a Literary Agent to pitch your book to publishers that may be ';right'; for your book.





Buy a copy of the book ';The Writer's Market.'; It lists Literary Agents and Publishers and is available in large book stores, Barnes %26amp; Noble, Borders, etc.





If you have writer friends that are published, ask for a referral to their Literary Agent.
Get the book ';Writer's Market 2007.'; It will answer all your questions.
www.lulu.com is handy - its a self publishing website, you can publish for free, and sell your book via the site.. hope that helps. :)
You can buy ';Getting published for dummies'; from Amazon. It will give you a step by step guide.
(Wish I'd found this website a long time ago!)





www.writersservices.com





friendly, efficient, keen, informative...

No comments:

Post a Comment