Saturday, July 31, 2010

I Need Professional Advice On How Do You Know When It's 'Time' To Euthanize Your Dog ?

We have a 17yr. old Collie / Shepherd mix . She's had arthritic problems in her hips for about 3 years and now has even more problems . She's having great difficulty getting up from a laying position and many times we have to help her . The vet says she also has muscular trouble too , because sometimes her legs slide-out from under her when she's standing or walking , especially on smooth surfaces .


She seems happy though . She's alert and responsive , but it's killing us to watch her struggle to walk and even get up on her own .





What Can You Tell Me To Help ?I Need Professional Advice On How Do You Know When It's 'Time' To Euthanize Your Dog ?
Follow your heart, my friend. It will not be easy!I Need Professional Advice On How Do You Know When It's 'Time' To Euthanize Your Dog ?
Earnest--





Have you tried a daily does of aspirin? (Not Tylenol or Advil--5 gr aspirin) If that doesn't do the trick--ask your vet about rimadyl. If she is happy, alert and responsive do what you can to make her comfy. Swimming is great exercise for her and helps the joints too (if she likes water).





We have a 5 year old golden retriever (we 'acquired' last year) who was abused as a pup. His knee joints were damaged due to the abuse and for lack of veterinary care--they never healed properly--so he has great difficulty get getting up--sometimes he needs our help. We do the aspirin thing daily. He is VERY cautious on the kitchen floor--the only room not carpeted for the same reasons. If he lies down in the kitchen--I put an area rug next to him to help him get up without slipping.





Your dog will definitely let you know when its 'time'. Our previous male golden, Milo (my baby) acquired Cushings disease at age 13--he also got cancer. We kept him comfy and one day he just didn't 'look' the same. Hubby took him to the vet and we we're told it was a matter of time. He had been active and happy the day before. When I came home I could see he'd given up. I spent the next few hours giving him belly rubs and we called the vet. His eyes said it all. There is NO mistaking that look. Sounds like your gal still wants some time with you.





Give her a belly rub for me!
i guess i am only a professional in that i have had pets all my life and have had to euthenize a few. it is so hard to do, but once they are in pain then it is time to free them from their worn out bodies. if it is not in pain though,it is up to you how much effort you can give to help the pet out.


i had a cat with crf(kidney failure) and gave her subcutaneous(i.v.) infusions twice daily for 6 months. everyone thought i was nuts, and told me i should let her go since it was incurable. as soon as she was fading and seemed to have pain i did that asap..but in the previous six months of treating her i secured my bond and spent a LOT of quality time with her.so i dont regret it.


i hope this helps you decide what to do;it is just what happened with me.
When the quality of her life is intolerable, put her down.





That said, you say that Precious is alert and responsive - even happy.





Now then, by ';happy'; I mean excited about life, wags her tail, anxious to go out and do ';dog-things'; - even if she struggles, eats regularly, has a good coat and eye shine, then she is happy.





If she struggles at everything, doesn't have much appetite, has trouble eliminating - seems like ';she just doesn't want to go on...'; then it's time to let her go.





But until then, keep her on carpet, feed her food that she can eat (maybe soften her kibble with warm water or broth), keep her warm, maybe raise her bed so it's easier for her to get up and down - be patient with accidents - and above all, LOVE her with all your heart for the time she has left. At 17, she is quite the antique.
It depends on how you feel. If you're dog is in pain, she will let you know. It's a very tough decision but if you're willing to stick by her and do whatever she needs you to do for her, then make that commitment.





I had to make the decision to euthanize my dog. The vet thought she had colon cancer but the only way to find out for sure was if she did surgery which would cost $5000. Even then, she only gave us a 20% chance of being able to fix it with another surgery. She was in a lot of pain, and it was heartbreaking but I made the decision to have her put down.





Just try to think about what is best for your dog. Don't keep her around, in pain, just because you'll miss her too much. She has had a long life.
This is a very tough, painful situation. I think that problem is how you feel about seeing her having problems to walk and get up. Although the dog is sick, she's '; happy, responsive'; what it means she's handling her ailments well. Then why to euthanize her ? I think her time to go has not come yet, and you'll know without doubt, if you and she have been emotionally close. She'll make you know in any way that she wants to go, when the time comes. Best wishes
When I had my 20 year old cat beginning to really show signs of aging I brought her to the vet to have her put down. The vet asked to give her a good once over before doing that and found she had a bladder infection making her appear worse off them she was . The infection cleared and we did have to give IV liquids occasionally because at her age she had kidney failure. The vet told me, ';You will know when it is time';. I thought that is crazy, that's your ';professional'; opinion. Well, 5 years later on the morning before Thanksgiving, I undoubtedly knew it was time';


While talking to other people their vets had pretty much said the same thing.


As for the other stuff, there are inexpensive arthritis pills for dogs that are amazing with the getting up and down, our 14 year old Springer uses them during the winter months. Don't your legs come out from under you sometimes on slick surfaces too? If you are medicating and still no results, then the quality of you dogs life is deteriorating rapidly and you need to examine if you are doing good by her or only making it easier for yourself.


Good Luck!
If you want professional advice, ask your vet. You'll only get the opinions of people who've been there.





In my opinion, it's not quite time yet if she's still happy, alert, and responsive. There is some wonderful arthritis medicine out there, and you can put carpet strips on the slippery surfaces for her to walk on. However, I only say that this is what I would do because I'm physically strong.





How strong you and your wife are is important. It is likely, given her age and health, that one day she'll fall down and won't be able to get up at all. Her legs, particularly her back ones, just won't work anymore no matter what medicine you give her. If this happens, she will need to be carried rather quickly to the vet so she can be put down (I say quickly because she will be scared and distressed, and most definately not happy anymore, and it's best for her to feel that for as short a time as possible). If this happens when you are not home, your wife will have to do this on her own.
SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT YOUR DOG. JUST HAD TO PUT MY 18YR OLD BORDER COLLIE MIX DOWN A COUPLE OF MONTHS AGO. IT'S NOT EASY.
If she is happy and eating i wouldn't euthanize her yet. but when she stops eating and is in pain than i would say it is time to put her down. best wishes.
No amount of professional advice is going to help here, Friend. I can only speak from my own experience.





You will have to decide when you are ready, but think of this: Is your dog truly happy? Is there a chance she is going to get well? Is she in any pain?





Are you keeping her for her? Or for yourself?





She has had a long life, and you sound like you love her very much. No matter what, letting her go will hurt. When it is time though- be there with her as she goes to sleep. She will know.
My friend had the same thing happen to her shepherd mix dog. She was 15 years old and had bad hips and arthritis. She moved around quite slowly and it took her a while to get up. But all in all she was a happy dog. She never complained because of the pain. Then all of a sudden she started going to the bathroom while laying down. She was in too much pain to move. That's when they knew it was time to let her go.





I hope your pup feels better. I know what a hard decision this is to make. Just remember, whatever you decide, your pup will thank you for it.
Oh...I'm sorry about your pup.





I don't want to tell you when....but trust me...you will know.





My previous lab was only 9 when I had to put her down...I spent over $3000 keeping her alive...and she was alert and happy....but one day...she just misperceived my son and chased him. I just knew...





If you girl is alert, happy and responsive...she's OK....don't put her down yet. She will, in all honesty, let you know when she's ready. I know it's hard to watch her struggle....but she's still OK.





As long as she's not suffering in endless pain, help her when she needs to get up and keep her walking slowly...put leash on her to help keep her moving slowly.





My current Newfoundland is a big girl...at 1.5 years old she's almost 140 pounds. Sometimes she needs help when she's getting up off the slippery marble floor. Just give her a little boost in the butt....and she's up and running.





Trust me....your girl will let you know when it's time. You can't miss it.





Hug her for me!
Toughest decision you are going to make with your pet.





When the pet is pain is where I draw the line.





You have 17 years wrap up in your dog.





Consider carefully all your options.





Think about what your dog is going through and would you want him to go through it.





Good luck.
If she can still at least walk without pain then wait. But if shes in constant pain then do it. I've been there and done that with several animals and I know its not pleasant. But you know they are in a better place. Hang in there.
Having to decide to euthanase a pet is the most horrible and painful decision you, as a pet owner, ever need to make. After it is done, you will no doubt wonder if it really was necessary right at that time, or if you might have done more to keep the animal alive longer. This is natural, and every pet owner goes through it, even when their pet is in such terrible health that it's undeniably the best thing to do.


You will know in your heart when the time has come - you know your dog, and you will see in her expression %26amp; demeanour when the joy of living has been replaced by relentless pain %26amp; misery.


In the meantime, I wonder if it's worth looking at making her movements around the house a little easier? Rubber matting on the floor will stop her from slipping as she tries to walk, and should make it much easier for her. Also, you might try to put her bed on a low platform, so that she can ';slide'; out, and into a standing position without having to push all of her weight up on painful joints. Keep her warm, and if you have steps to the outside areas, placing bricks or wood betweem each step to make them less high would be a help as well.


Having said all that, she's quite old, so you wouldn't expect to be able to extend her life for an enormous amount, but at least if you can do what you can to make things easier on her while she's still showing signs of being happy to be alive, it will make it much easier on you in the long run, when finally you do need to make that horrible decision, as you'll know that you did everything possible to give her some extra, quality time. Whatever happens, you have my sympathy for what must be a very hard time for you - I've been through it many times myself. In the end, you love your dog, and she trusts you as her guardian to do what's right for her, and I know that you will do that.
i known how u feel i had cocker , she was 20. she got cancer and could,nt see or hear very well. i did what i could for her. it was hard to say bye to your pal that was there for so long.
I hate to advise you on this, it is your choice to make but from my past experience...I had a large breed dobermann who had hip and leg problems at age 10, her legs slid out from her and she broker her hip, thinking she was only 10 I had hip surgery done to repair the leg, it was very painful for her, she suffered so much , I had to carry her to pee outside, her wound would not heal, she cried , threw up and would not eat, ...I put her through the surgery only for her to die 7 days later, she lived in agony and all the while was responsive and wagging her tail etc...i realized in hinesight that the humaine course of action would have been having her euthanized. I kept her alive, had the surgery done and so forth because I didnt want to loser her, it was selfish and I will always regret it. Here forth I go forward believing that if the dohg does not have quality of life, can not run, play, walk, stand up, lay down etc....it is time to say good bye. 17 years is an unusually long time for a dog to live. Consult your vet, but do what is fair to the dog, not what is easier on your heart. Good Luck. Hugs!
put it to sleep. its okay. in case you are sad after that get a new puppy. it always cheers people up when their dog are died.
As so many people here have said so well, you will know when it is time. That look on her face will say, ';Daddy, I really don't want to go on.';





I have a 16-ish year old chow mix. Don't kow his real age, but he was at least a year when I adopted him and I've had him for 15, so by my math...





Anyway, he's about 90% blind and deaf, and he slips on the kitchen linoleum a lot. He runs into things occasionally, and forgets why he's outside sometimes, so I have to take him for extra walkies on occasion. But he gets up every morning with a wagging tail and a bouncy gait...or at least as bouncy as a geriatric geezer dog can have, anyhow. He bounces down the steps and hippity-hops around on the end of the leash smelling the flowers and grass and favorite potty spots. He sort of does a comical shuffle dance at treat times, and still woofs and tried to do his old tricks if the light hits your hand just right so he can se the hand signals. In short, he's happy. Until he tells me it's time, or goes in his sleep, (and trust me, at his age he gets into such deep sleeps I thought he was gone on a few heart-stopping occasions) I'm going to thank the Lord for blessing me with Ol' Rusty-crusty dog.





Trust your heart and your dog to let you know it's time, and look for support when she has to go. Not everyone understands just how tough grieving for a pet is. There are support groups, just reach out to them. There is nothing wrong with your feelings about your girl or how you handle them. Whatever decision you make, it will be the right one because you made the choice out of love.
While I am not a vet, I have had many animals over the years, and had to make these most horrible of decisions for them. Animals don't feel sorry for themselves; they live with what is put in front of them. Obviously it will not be too much longer for your dog, I am sorry to say. You know her better than anyone. Do you feel she still has some dignity left? If she is not in much pain, I would wait. I know it hurts you to see her struggle, but like I said, she is dealing with it. I have to help my dog at times, but I know it is not her time to go yet. I would watch your dog for signs of pain or distress. Then make the decision. My heart goes out to you and your dog.
I am going through this right now as my GSD has a disease that is paralyzing his legs plus he has some arthritis and mild hip displesia. He still seems happy most of the time he sleeps a lot more and he plays a lot less slower and for shorter periods of time. The good thing is that he is only in mild pain because of the paralyzing affects of the first disease. Still it kills me on the days that I have to lift his rear legs up from laying down. He can still walk and even play for a bit once he is up and moving but when we play he often looses control of his rear legs and it bothers me a lot but doesn't really seem to bother him.


I decided when he doesn't want to play at all anymore that would be the time, I am not a pro either just trying to figure out what is best and I just don't think lying around the house all day will make my dog happy.
I am really sorry to hear about yr dog.


If u think yr dog is in pain u should do what u thinks best, Speak to the vet and see what he recommends, but by the sounds of it she has had a good life and is now not so well.


I would look for any alternative treatments, if none available then euthanasia may be best , as she could get worse.


17 years old is quite good for a dogs age.


Hope this may help
Earnest, dogs have no sense of tomorrow and do not make plans. You have been fortunate to have her company for so many years.


As long as she is NOT in pain, you are probably ok. But I question the idea of waiting until there is constant pain.


I don't know about your dog, but mine didn't like going to the Vet's office. When I took my standard poodle to be euthanized, the Vet told me to just leave her and they would take care of it. I replied that she was my dog and I would not abandon her just because I was having her euthanized. The female Vet said, ';Well, ok, but I am going to cry.'; I told her that was ok, cause I was going to cry as well. We both did. In fact, I get teary just thinking about my faithful dog.
When my Sheltie was at that point I let her tell me. One morning we went down stairs and she ate her breakfast an then collapsed on the kitchen floor all four legs out from under her. I just stood there trying to help her up and there was no way. So I just picked her up and took her to the vet. It was time. I stayed with her and the last thing she did was to lick my hand as to say thank you. They really will let you know. It's the hardest thing about having a loving four legged family member. I know how hard this is for you, but we all know ourselves when it's the right time. You've been so lucky to have had her in your lives for seventeen years. So my advice to you if you want it is just go with your gut. I wish you all well and my thoughts are with you. All the best........
You can tell when they are ready to go. They do NOT seem happy at all. They have a glazed look (kind of a blank stare) in their eyes. The dog becomes un-responsive, and if you look at them during this time..... there is no question.





It seems to me that she is doing well with her physical problems, and it is bothering you more than her mentally at this point. All you can do is help her get to her feet, buy a lot of rugs, and wait for her to tell you she's ready.





I hope this helps, it is NEVER an easy decision even when the time IS right. Bless you.
Well I'm no professional nor would I ever pretend to be, but I have had to take this step with many animals over the years.





I always put the quality of life over the quantity. If they are in pain and really can do little more than lay around, have trouble eating/drinking etc then I go to my vet and talk with him. I also talk it over with my family. It's something you have to be as sure as humanly possible about of course before you take that step.





When we make the ultimate decission is when we look into their eyes and they seem to tell you in their own way it's time. (man I'm crying now) Their eyes seem to tell how they feel just the way the do with people. I hate to see ';that look'; but it sure proves to me the time is right.





I really feel for you as I truly know how you feel. I looked into the eyes of my 22 year old cat this morning and I know today is the day. I will make the appointment in just a few minutes when the vet opens at 9am. Lucky told me it's time. Your dog will do the same. :-(





PS: I thought I would edit my reply to let you know I helped Lucky to the Rainbow Bridge at 10:15 this morning. She is now with the Lord and all of my other passed babies.
I had to make this decision for my Labrador Retriever several years ago. Max was stricken with a creeping palsy that was slowly paralyzing him. Eventually, he could no longer do any of the things he loved to do. He would struggle to drag himself around just to get to is water bowl. My wife could not bring herself to let him go. So I explained to her that we had to decide if we were just keeping him alive for our own needs or if we were doing what was best for Max.





I told her that to me, he seemed totally miserable because all of the best parts of being a dog were taken away from him. He could not go for walks, he could not chase a stick, he could not climb up on the bed he was becoming incontinent which was totally freaking him out because he knew not to go in the house but could not help it.





She finally agreed that he was now a prisoner in his own body just the same as if he were locked in a small cage. He lost the sparkle in his eye and seemed to dread each day like a lifer in solitary.





My son and I took him to the Vet. I carried him into that examination room and placed him on the table. He offered no resistance. The doctor left us alone for a little while to say our good-byes and then the doctor came in, gave him an injection and he just exhaled and was gone. My son cried but somehow I felt better. It was the final act of love.





.

No comments:

Post a Comment