Thursday, July 29, 2010

Please can you give me some advice on these a-levels?

I would like to do something in medicine and I'm starting college in September. I'm planning to take Biology, Chemistry, Maths and one other. I was thinking Psychology but I'm not sure. What subjects do you recommend which will support my other subjects and set me in good stead for what I want to do?Please can you give me some advice on these a-levels?
you can choose one subject you enjoy or you can choose physics because maths supports physics. If you have all science and 1 maths, then your options are not wide.Please can you give me some advice on these a-levels?
Hmm not sure about Psychology, as many medical schools like to teach you all ';medical'; things themselves, (that's why some don't require Biology A-level - they teach you all the biology you need in a few weeks when you get there)





Chemistry and Maths are a definite though and biology at most places there, so good pick there.





There's not anywhere that recommends anything other thanthree e sciences and maths, so I would pick something that's different (History, English,Philosophy) and that you enjoy (and a goodtalking point at your interview. If offered, and studied to GCSE, Latin is always helpful for naming things/bones/everything really.





But mainly, once you've satisfied the entry requirements, pick something enjoyable
I would recommend physics.





From experience:


Maths underpins Physics which underpins Chemistry which underpins Biology.


Simple!





Also, although Psycology may sound 'Doctor-y', it won't be as valuable as Physics when it comes to university selection boards trying to choose students for a very oversubscribed medical course.





Hope this gives you insight!
Do Maths Biology, Chemistry, And any other creative subject.





Medicine is very competitive, so they want people who have more varied abilities. So a creative subject is useful. i think you should drop maths second year.
Psychology is a good field to study in but i personally would go with physics to add on to your math and science majors.

No comments:

Post a Comment